Head of Department
Department of Horticulture is one of the main sections of the college of Agriculture since its inception in 1997. And respect to teach agricultural science department in the areas of production, physiology and breeding of crop plants and horticultural development. The Section also conduct applied research that aims to raise production efficiency and quality in addition to their relevance to the environmental conditions of Iraq. Department of Horticulture proud of the existence of a group of college members who have graduated from distinguished international universities and leading them to a variety of research interests, and that allowing the Department an opportunity to deal with the requirements of current and future society. Department of Horticulture also seeks to scientific communication with colleges and scientific institutes and other public institutions, local and foreign, in this section professors side welcomes visitors from other universities to exchange experiences and knowledge also welcomes graduate students from within and outside Iraq.
Department of Horticulture originated in 1997 in the Department is keen to contribute to the enrichment of agricultural science and its application in the areas of production of horticultural crops. And about the natural disadvantages faced by the agricultural sector under the circumstances experienced by Iraq, the Department is facing great challenges to provide solutions to all problems facing the agricultural community and the search for opportunities and alternatives for raising production efficiency and sustainability through the graduation of national competencies highly qualified and do a search applied scientific research and the results published between segments of society.
Grant Department of Horticulture degree Bachelor of Agricultural Science and the degree of Master of Science in horticulture and doctorate in terms of reference of Horticulture (vegetable production, fruit production, plant nurseries and multiplication, production of ornamental plants, tissue culture).
Department of Horticulture aspire to academic leadership in the science of horticulture through renewable achieve the highest levels of education, scientific research and publication
The A section in contributing to the development of agricultural production through the construction of national cadres Highly qualified in the science of gardening and the implementation of studies and research programs Basic and applied research to solve agricultural problems and disseminate the results
• Graduation of qualified national cadres in the areas of horticulture (fruits – vegetables – ornamental plants and gardening) to work in various agricultural sectors
• Carry out applied scientific research in the areas of horticulture, which aims to study the problems hindering the improvement of production, increase and provide appropriate solutions
• Contribute to the development of awareness of farmers and agricultural people interested in agriculture and the dissemination of information in the field of modern agricultural production in cooperation with the unit of media in college.
The most important activities of the department of community service
• Include educational services offered by the department as follows:
• Calendar of letters and scientific Alatarih from within and outside the university to obtain master’s and doctoral
• Scientific lectures is named general The section on special occasions and public
• Authored textbooks and the translation of important books in the areas of different section
• Calendar of scientific research submitted for publication in magazines, local and international scientific
• Provision of technical advisory services to farmers and agricultural companies
• Provide advisory services to government agencies related to the different areas of the section
Section has been to provide training services and guidance in different individually or in cooperation with the Departments and units related and include the following:
• Contribute to the annual agricultural festival in the college
• The establishment of training courses to farmers and graduates within the department
• The establishment of annual training courses in the terms of reference section in collaboration with the Directorate of Agricultural Extension in the province of Najaf in
• Recent trends in the establishment of orchards and gardens engineering and production of ornamental plants, flowers and maintenance of gardens and parks
• Recent trends in breeding and production of palm and fruit in Iraq
• Care of flowers and indoor plants
• Vegetable production in greenhouses
• Agricultural mechanization
Salient features of the section
• Laboratory Graduate Research plant nutrition: featuring the latest equipment necessary to conduct advanced studies in the areas of nutrition and physiology of the plant and a soil analysis, water and plant
• Plant tissue culture lab: aims to conduct scientific studies on the production of crop plants Bustnipalmokhtlvp with recipes and high quality and is similar to the mother plants and take advantage of this technique in plant breeding applications
• Unit operating greenhouses: Unit comprises 5 houses, plastic and wooden canopy. Three houses and a custom canopy for the production and propagation of plants, gardens and forests. 2 House system equipped with a modern plastic drip irrigation and fertilization dedicated to the cultivation of vegetable crops.
Certificates granted by the Department:
1 – The degree of Bachelor of Agricultural Science (Horticulture)
Awarded the University of Kufa, on the recommendation of the college of Agriculture Bachelor of Science in Agriculture in the jurisdiction of gardening for those who completed graduation requirements (courses listed below and distributed over 4 years by two semesters per year, in addition to passing the summer training in one of the state departments for a period of 45 days after the third year).